Saturday, January 8, 2011

Margazhi Magic (the magic of the month Marghazhi)


The alarm rang ... it definitely rang every morning, but today it seemed a little differently pleasant. The house was quite to Nithyashree's voice singing Andal's Thiruppavai and my mom's karaoke coming along (which I don’t want to publicly comment upon)

This was something that made me jump from my bed like a spring. I did not know what was with this month of Marghazhi (Tamil month Dec 15th – Jan 15th) and its concerts that made me come alive. Music - the kind, that arouse me, was suffused in the air.

Amma peeped thro the door to see if I was up. She was happy to see her little one was up early and that too with a smile. She doesn’t get to witness such scenes very often.
That smile is like her ticket to enter my room and inform me of all that she wants me to do, which otherwise on any other day will be a struggle. She told me later that she wondered if I had it in me - I could even behave like a little angel. I know I was a tough one but did not know I was good at it ... poor amma

Well given the chance - she went with her full list of drop me off at mohana athai's (aunt’s) place and then on you way, pick up some fresh fruits and coconut ... I interrupted "but we just picked up some a day ago"
She continued "Oh but did I not tell you kamala periyama (mom’s elder sister) is coming from Trichy. The last time she was here and I had just made vathakozhabu (a spicy curry) without kootu - (a kind of coconut gravy), and she let the whole of Andal Street (a street in the town of Trichy) know how miserly I had become

That news of periyamma's arrival made me raise my eyebrow - I was not too fond of her. She could get really nosey and pick on all the sensitive topics with me. Amma sensed the smile on my face was slowly reversing and quickly got up to leave. On the way out she announced "Nandhini call panna … naalaikku Tm Krishna's kutcheri yam" (Nandhini had called ... tomorrow is Tm Krishna's Concert)

The receding graph on my face suddenly took an upward direction. "yengannu sonnala?" (did she say where?) I yelled with excitement

“Naradha gana sabha - 6:30 pm” she replied and continued "nee poorappa, appadiye yenniayum perimavaiyum pick up panniko di" (when you are heading back home, pls pick up periyamma and me) . Now this - I did not want to hear ... Damn she makes use of even the smallest opportunity given to her. I was like "ammaaaaaaaa" and she was like “pleasssssssse"
I lost once again - to her shrewdness in acting to the situation ... grrr

Periyamma did bring a lot of goodies and gossip stories from Trichy and entertained a lot of people. I know she was constantly and subtly watching me - waiting for an opportunity to pick a conversation and I was very slyly wading it off, making her efforts futile

I also knew it was not in the family genes to give up - she would definitely find her way

Anyways I was waiting for the evening and my friend Prasad joined us. The concert was mind-blowing with Tm Krishna in his own style elaborating how both the ragas “Nata Bhairavi” and “Nari Reethigowla” had the same notes but is not the same followed by a Muthuswamy Dikshitar kriti (Hymns composed by Muthuswamy Dikshitar)

We did pick up amma and periyamma on the way back, I dropped Prasad and was driving back home. Amma said periyappa (Periyamma’ husband) had slipped and fallen down and was taken to the doctor and periyamma was leaving tomorrow morning

I thought - wow prayers do get answered .... when periyamma's voice stopped my thinking process "yaaru anu indha paiyan?" (Who is this guy anu?) referring to my friend. I knew she would have to pick some topic ... but I quickly answered "oh yen boyfriend periyamma ... kalyanam pannikalama yosikkaren ... yenna sollaringa?" (Oh my boyfriend … thinking of marrying … what do you say?)

The both of them looked aghast, their jaw dropped. I chuckled and whispered to my mom " Kavalla padatha ma avan gay" (Don’t worry, mom he is Gay).
My mom gave a sigh of relief ... a very confused smile, with a “what more can I expect from you” expression. Kamala periyamma was still trying to grapple with what she had just heard and not totally understanding what I whispered into my mom's ears. She was silent till we reached home. As we entered the gates and got out she asked "gay-nna?" (what does gay mean?)
Amma looked at me and "uriya vangarathukinnae porandhurukka" … “idha yellam eppadi explain pannaradhu akkavukku" (you are born to take the life out of me … now how do I explain this to my sister)

I smiled and said "do your best in explaining ... at least Andal Street will get educated on this subject by her next visit". Well not bad I thought, the month of margazhi had worked its magic on me ... it sure will on everyone as well :)

9 comments:

  1. hmmmmmmmmm anu, ill comment offline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu have a way with telling stories, Anu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isha .. ?? don't know who you are but waiting for your offline comments

    Meg: thanks

    Meera: its a day old now ;-) kidding ... I started thinking of the Marghazhi season and I love it so much that i thought i have to write abt it. so made up a few fictitious characters to weave a story (some true some made up !!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must of been a real rascal of a kid cracking these kind of jokes on your family... reminds me of me =) And I think all mom's learn the same kind of tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anu .... nostalgic...the misty mornings... the women weaving their suzhi kolams and me sipping amma's filter coffee , sitting on the veranda and reading my fav.novel.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, kathaya ithu? Naa unmainu nenechen. Wow, Nu-Nu. You are some storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh!You just transported us to south India

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meera: Thanks :) i am taking that as a compliment.

    Kalpana: I am sure visiting ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete